What You Need to Know About LED Lighting Before You Upgrade

SAVE-MONEY-Empire-LEDSwitching from incandescent bulbs to LED lighting has become a popular trend for companies and stores of all sizes because of its two main advantages: conserving energy AND money. Before you make the switch, here are some things you should know about the trend.

What is LED Lighting?

LED stands for light-emitting diode, which means that it converts electricity into light as opposed to incandescent lighting which uses electricity to heat up a wire which glows and results in light.

Why is LED lighting better than Incandescent lighting?

LED lights have a significantly longer life span (50,000 hours compared to a measly 1,200). Only 10% of the energy used by incandescent bulbs actually goes to lighting up the room, while the other 90% of the energy is just heat emitted from it. LED lighting is better because the energy it uses goes directly towards its purpose. For every kilowatt-hour of energy consumed, 1.6 pounds of carbon dioxide are released which negatively affects the climate. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, electricity makes up 37 percent of America’s CO2 emissions.

Aside from energy usage, how does LED lighting differ from standard lighting?

LED lights are more compact, meaning that they shed light to a specific spot rather than all around. Traffic lights, vehicle brake lights, and select televisions use LED technology because of its ease to control the direction of the light. Whatever coverage you want, make sure you know the LED light beam spread ratings to assure that you will get what you expect.

How does switching to LED lighting save me money?

The installation of LED lighting has a higher initial cost, but the aftermath is what cuts down the money spent on electric bills because very little energy is wasted — energy use is cut by over 80 percent! Although the average cost per LED bulb is $35.95 compared to Incandescent’s $1.25, the life span is over 25 times longer, and the total cost for 50,000 hours of use is only $85.75 compared to $352.50!

How popular is LED technology?

In 2012, nearly 49 million LEDs were installed in the U.S. which lead to $675 million in savings in annual energy costs. It is estimated that by 2030, LEDs will make up for 75% of all lighting sales. Many chain retailers, such as Macy’s, Target, Kohls and Starbucks, have switched to LED technology. The switch has saved these retailers millions of dollars.